Friday, December 16, 2011

lucky & faith (a dream journey in 12 micro-chapters)

1
And so, as I was saying, he lied there with a rabbit named Lucky.  Holding on tight…praying for an unconditional friend to kiss him on the forehead and whisper, ”though this may be the end, it will never be tragic.”  And by the way, his rabbit was not named after a foot…but Elvis in Vegas in love with a kitten of a redhead.

2
And so the story goes…He cried himself to sleep…at least that’s what I would say if it didn’t sound or appear too pathetic or, at the very least, supremely cliché…Anyway, he drifted off praying, or some semblance thereof, that the night would soon end and a new day would come…a wasted prayer for it always does…but not wasted cuz his truth in that moment was…it may never come.

3
It would almost be okay if I was promised a kitten of a red-head disguised as a rabbit or a bunny (wink, wink) to wander up to me, kiss me on the forehead and tell me, “forever has arrived…and by the way, what does tragic mean?”

4
I tried so hard to write about him, but by chapter three I wrote about you: AKA me…and the thing is I read it over about ten or so times before I realized what I had done.  Oh well, moving on, and so on…where was I? Oh yes…exploring forever with a redheaded rabbit, or bunny named Lucky.

5
Where it began was a simple terrain…a desert…leading to nowhere, it seemed to me.  But still I had nothing better to do, so I took one step, then another, and every so often I would ask Lucky where we were headed, what’s next, or at least…what’s your sign?  She would spin around and flash a smile, or sometimes fall back and give birth to angels in the sand and once in a while an angel would rise and dance through the sky and just before it would scream out loud…it was never there (only a cloud).

6
When I asked Lucky where the angels went, she said I had been given a gift, or maybe I had not seen a thing…But I did! Then she said, ”Well, then I guess you must have faith.”…What does faith mean?


7
I’ve heard, or read on postcards and a few gurus’ business cards selling spiritual hopes for strangers and aimless passer-bys, that it is “the evidence of things not seen”. So what good does that do me?  I had seen.  Anyway who cares, it’s probably all a dream.


8
Again, I asked Lucky where we were headed.  She walked up to me, and kissed me…not just on the forehead this time, but still…gently.  Then she began to say, but I did instead in the daze leftover from her kiss, “Angels are our guide.”  She giggled and played along as she asked, “What makes you so sure?”
“I’m sure as there are clouds in the sky.” We then looked up and not one seen by our playful eyes.  “Well”, said I, “Maybe it is all a dream.”
“And if it is?”
“Then it’s my dream.”
“And?”
“Anything is possible”
“But what is possible?”

9
What is possible?  The question at hand did not come from Lucky, but another voice from behind.  I turned to find a ruff and tumble cowgirl sittin’ on the porch of a wild-west saloon that just appeared in this nowhere at what could only be high noon.  I stood there for a time…just stared into her eyes…I wanted to hold her, dream with her, make love to her ghost…but I chose to just try to see what she saw as she stared into nowhere.

10
“I wasn’t staring into nowhere, I was staring into you.”  Her voice had a twang with a dash of peace and a slice of pain.  Anyway, as I tried to understand that there may be a difference between nowhere and me, I began to tell of the desert, the angels, and the never-ending dream…then over shots of pinot noir she mused on maybe it’s over, maybe it’s not, but either way I should consider myself lucky.


11
Lucky.  It wasn’t until then I realized the kitten of a redheaded rabbit was gone.  Maybe she was still part of me and I could indeed consider myself lucky…but to believe that, to live that…I must have…
“Faith,” said the ruff and tumble cowgirl.
“What?”
“My name is faith…I thought I should tell you.”
“Did I find you, or did you find me?”
“Does it really matter?”


12
Then we just sat there, wind blowin’ hard through our hair, our hands barely touching, our ghosts finding love, our eyes hardly meeting…but I had found Faith…and our adventure had just begun…

No comments:

Post a Comment