Wednesday, December 21, 2011

new name

I long to live in a land where the language is not my own.  
Where I find myself back at birth, 
searching for words to express my heart’s personal truth.  
I am an expatriate from the adult I have let myself become…
an adult I choose to leave behind.
I’ll become the foreign land around me, digging my soul 
into the virgin soil…or more likely I am the virgin, 
digging into love and life growing out of the same 
ground as the prickly flowers that have been calling 
to me from the background of my so-called nightmares.
I am talking to strangers…to God…and a wild lonely 
creature with scales and wings that crawls onto my 
chest and breathes a new world that tingles and 
dreams in and around my lips and tongue, letting 
me taste a future that may even be my own.
Looking around me I see a desert filled with 
the ghosts of passions that are just waiting 
for me to say the word that will let them be 
born into this ugly world where they long 
to feel the pain…but maybe they will also feel 
the thrill of “we shall overcome”.
Looking around me I am overcome with nothing…
and by nothing I mean that from this day I crawl 
forward into my new land with no name, 
only tattooed with a path that fell before me 
to attain peace in my spirit.
I will learn the new language in my new land, 
where soon I may be given a new name 
that is not so new.  It has been branded on me 
since valleys slept in native manifestations 
of vision quests where the future was as clear as 
mountaintops dusted with clean crisp snow, and 
rivers flowed forward; never dreaming, always moving. 
And moving, always moving, I will reach the majesty 
of a waterfall, where behind I will find my true name 
carved on the wall of an ancient cave…and echoed 
in a whisper through drops of water, a word 
I have never heard, 
in a language 
born of destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment